Sunday, June 23, 2013

Dr. Bombay's Underwater Tea Party

Dr. Bombay's Underwater Tea Party 
Little 5 Points
Coffee and tea
http://www.drbombays.com/
Some of the profits from Dr. Bombay's help support The Learning Tea which helps impoverished women in India afford an education. (http://thelearningtea.com/)

Decor: Dr. Bombay's exemplifies eclectic. It is divided into 2 rooms and has a large back patio. Book shelves line the wall---each book on sale for only $1---and paper umbrellas and lamp shades hang from the ceiling. The furniture consists of a little bit of everything, so no matter your seating preference--armchairs, booths, outdoor tables, etc.--you will be taken care of. Even the bathroom matches, with walls lined with the pages of children's books. To sum it up, I would say---nothing seems to belong there, but everything seems to fit right into place. 

Atmosphere: Dr. Bombay's is very comfortable. The times I have been, I feel confident that I can study and stay focused, yet comfortable enough to carry on a full volume conversation. 

Food and Drink: They offer coffee and espresso beverages (I love their latte) and loose leaf teas. They also have ice-cream and various sweets. So far, I have liked everything I have tried, so have your pick of the menu! 

Today: One of the coolest things about Dr. Bombay's is that they do High Tea everyday from 3:30-5:30. Since the price is listed for 2 ($30), I went for the first time today with my friend Tes. Long story short---it was lovely---totally worth the $15 price. 
Tes with her tea

They had tables reserved for the tea, each with an elaborate place setting. As a cup collector, I really appreciated that each place setting was different, and in theme with the cafe--nothing matched. 


There was ever tea compliment any tea-drinker could ask for. We had honey, sugar cubes, steamed milk, a silver platter of lemons, and a large tea selection to chose from. 

We chose an apple ceylon tea and were first brought the tea---a huge pot to share between the 2 of us. 

Shortly after we were brought a generous tray of treats. It included: 
  • 4 large scones
  • 4 small finger sandwiches (2 egg salad, 2 pimento cheese) 
  • 2 slices of quiche
  • 2 mustache shaped sugar cookies
  • 6 mini cupcakes
  • 4 bite-sized pieces of cake
For our scones we had jam, honey, and (Tes's favorite) clotted cream. I had never had clotted cream before and imagined it was something like cottage cheese---I was so wrong. It is sweet, similar to whipped cream, and delicious! 


Long story short, it was delicious, filling, and fun! (So filling that I didn't even need dinner today!) If you like tea, put Dr. Bombay's High Tea on your must-try list!! 

Needless to say I was a happy sipper! 

Me! 



No comments:

Post a Comment